They are hired to perform and lead a project to success, but they can suffer the same setbacks as anyone on the team. Actually, we did all post deployment tests and everything was green. Following is a good answer to this project manager interview question. We have also provided sample answers to each interview question. Hint: Do not risk your next PM Job Interview! He adds that he was also responsible for convincing executive management for additional funding when needed. After getting the approval of the manager, he speaks with the team first and then communicates to the customer respectively. I added in the meeting that, we, as project team, met our deadlines and objectives. It was a strange experience for me to see people better motivated on Mondays. This question reveals first how up-to-date the candidate is regarding software and project management tools. Because, Apple is my dream company that I would love to work for. I managed the communication with Ericsson to outsource these two consultants and planned their start and end dates in the project. After I create the project baseline, I mark the milestones of the project. However, he wants to get this project manager position and the employer invited him to the project manager interview. Because he uses “baseline” and “issue log” terms. Let us send you links for our Free PM Interview Pack. However, the most important ones are planning and execution. However, there can’t be a single right answer for any of the questions. I worked for Elo for three years and managed their last inductive led screen development project. Of course, I try to find a win-win situation first. I am not a German you know it J. This is a great way to weed out the micromanagers. However, never mention this during your project manager interview. Ace This Interview Question. They need to be strong, involved leaders with the ability to productively manage a diverse team that may change regularly – both in task and members. From traditional methods like waterfall to hybrid methodologies, you want a project manager who understands the many ways to work. The requirement of the customer was loading the homepage in less than three seconds across US. This helps me to see whether a task is on track, behind schedule or ahead of schedule. Because, several other projects were dependent on my project. Every interview will include some basic interview questions. There are many ways to lead, and all have their pluses and minuses. ProjectManager.com has award-winning online Gantt charts that allow project managers to plan every phase of their projects. We were working on an online learning portal project of an oil company. There is not a concrete answer to this question. October 13, 2015. Stakeholders want the broad strokes, while teams will need more detail. Let’s go over the questions one-by-one and see how to answer each of them. What you really want to know is not whether they delegate, but how they delegate. How would you convince the customer? Customer did not want to pay any additional cost for the project. Outsource personnel is hired or acquired by a company only for a limited time or for a specific project. However, if they do have experience in your field, that’s a plus, so ask how those relevant projects panned out. When I am assigning a task to a project team member, I clearly define the KPIs, requirements and scope of the task. I experienced several conflicts arising in my projects during my career. Project Manager Interview Questions & Answer #1: Please describe yourself, your background briefly. For example, if the job involves working with cross-cultural teams, you might be asked something like this: 1. This project manager interview question will assess your monitoring and controlling skills and your familiarity with project management tools. We have tried to gather all questions that you will be asked (most probably) in your project manager interview session. It’s ideal for the whole organization. This was causing a big pressure in executive management of the company and therefore it was a big challenge for me as well. The following is a sample answer for this question. Teams are a project’s most valuable resource. The ideal project is the one that you’re hiring for of course! Clare Hawkins. What would you say is the most important skill of a Project Manager and why? But more resourceful is the project manager who knows when they’re over their head and asks for help from a mentor or a network of professionals. We will go over the following questions and provide sample answers for each one. Customer was on my neck and asking the situation each minute while we were trying to fix the issue. Do you have an international project team management experience? Note how confidently they answer. I’ve heard from the recent news that, Apple is planning to remove “home” button from IPhone and move the features of the “home” button to the screen. Tips for answering: In your response, keep in mind the specific requirements listed in the job description.Plus, if there were any challenges that the interviewer brought up previously in the conversation, you can … Everyone makes mistakes; character is defined by how you deal with them. Enroll in our Free Courses and access to valuable materials for FREE! After customer acceptance tests, they agreed that the features of these pages meet their initial requirements. I had to speak with him but not demotivate him. After some discussions, my manager proposed a revised cost for this additional feature. Related: Project Manager Salary Statistics 2019. If you are an experienced professional, the job interviewer will look for the keywords in your background that will match the requirements of the job. Knowing that a project is not keeping to its schedule is only as important as being able to get the project back on track. Therefore, keeping in mind the expected results help me to focus on what needs to be done during the project. Because you have to fix conflicts with communication and companies do not wish to go courts in these cases since it will take years to reach a conclusion. After one week passed, I talked to him. My software project management experience in a screen company will be very much beneficial for the projects in Apple. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHJ6KpqdOmU, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEQKpzrlDqs. For instance, if the cause of the conflict is a how to solve a technical issue in a software project, I show the options to the project team and expect the software developers to vote for the best option to resolve the conflict. If the project team member is underperforming for a couple of weeks, I invite him to a coffee break. This question also provides a sense of the person, such as how they lead teams and deal with conflicts. I set a deadline for the issue and I follow the issue until it is resolved. After some time, I asked these engineers why they are more willing to work on Mondays. 22 Feb. A competent project manager will need to have numerous skills and attributes to be successful. A good project manager must be able to resolve conflicts without hampering the motivation and relationship in the project team. He also adds that he got a promotion, which shows that his current employer appreciates and treasures him. This answer shows the knowledge of the project manager candidate about the gold plating term. We reached out to a number of hiring managers and scoured through Glassdoor and LinkedIn data to bring you the most popular project manager interview questions—and what to look for in candidate answers. However, I learned that, he just broke up with his long lasting girlfriend. Then, the project manager candidate adds that he is planning to get relevant professional certifications to improve his project management skills. The project manager candidate describes how he approaches a demotivated project team member step-by-step. If they say that they’ve never made a mistake, you can rest assured that they’re not being truthful and their resume can go into the circular file. I asked my manager to join the meeting as well. Then, you should highlight the critical points in your background that are relevant to the position you applied for. - No Credit Card Required. Less important than the content of their answer is the way they deal with the question. You can face this question not only in a project manager interview but also in any job interview. In that case, if the team member tells about the problem, I will do my best to help him. If you did not receive, make sure you check your spam folders and add masterofproject.com to the safe senders' list to receive our emails. Because, if you can describe a solution mathematically with statistics, numbers, figures, etc. We thought that this is a local problem affecting only a part of the subscribers. A Project Manager is responsible for planning … Additionally, I try to celebrate birthday of each project team member. I was contacting directly with the vendors during procurement and managing the communication with finance department of the company. Budget management is a crucial aspect of project management. Do you have the outsource personnel or supplier management experience? Then, our expert project manager interviewer prepares customized questions for you. The following can be a good answer to this type of project manager interview questions. Our software engineers investigated the problem. I use Microsoft Project for creating project plan. I’ve put together my 10 killer interview questions for hiring a project manager. All reported incidents were from Louisville, Kentucky. Related: What Are Your Strengths & Weaknesses? During the project manager mock interview session, the interviewer will ask you realistic questions that you will be asked most likely in your real interview. I try to demonstrate the pros and cons of each resolution alternative analytically because numbers, figures, statistics and mathematical approach is the best way to convince people for a solution. Expect interview questions that will assess your ability to lead a group and communicate effectively to members with … A good project manager knows that some conflict is inevitable -- and even healthy -- on a project … Ask specific project manager interview questions to narrow your options to a handful of great candidates. We have gathered the eighteen project manager interview questions and answers that you will be asked, most probably, during your job interview. When answering this project manager interview question, try to remember your positive attitudes and what your colleagues say about your work behavior. Before sitting in your project manager interview session, go through your experience. Is that it? Next morning, I woke up with the phone call of my customer. The difference between a good and great project manager is the ability to monitor oneself and respond proactively to any drop offs in performance. ProjectManager.com has one-click reports that can be filtered to show just the information stakeholders or project managers need to keep tabs on the progress of the project. This is one of the last questions that you will be asked in your project manager interview session. This shows that he has people management skills, which is crucial for a project manager position. Some project managers are going to think you want a person who is wholly independent and pulls from an inner-reservoir. There were 11 software developers and 6 test engineers. Following are the 18 PM Interview questions asked in common and we will guide you on how to answer them one-by-one with example answers. After I graduated from university in 2013, I applied for the software analyst position of Accenture in Plano, Texas. It’s easy to forget that project managers are people, too. At the end of my website development project, customer was not happy with the delivered results. I organize a 30 minutes break for celebration and invite all project team members to this break. What they’re asking: Expect a fair share of behavioral interview questions—these are questions that ask you to recall and explain specific examples and experiences—during your project manager interview… Each group will need a slightly different approach. The following can be a good sample answer to this interview question. ProjectManager.com organizes all your tasks into a timeline with our online Gantt chart. When interviewing Technical Project Managers, the ideal candidate should have … Depending on the roles and responsibilities of the project manager in a company, budget management might not be required by the project manager. First thing to look when a conflict arises is the source of conflict. The second part highlights the emergency of this issue. First, he reports to his manager. Because gold plating can cause delays and extra cost in the project. However, the customer is not happy with the result and does not accept the project. That takes a subtle touch. But, there are individuals who have the breadth of knowledge and experience necessary to successfully lead projects. By asking about a challenging project, you can see how they act when pushed to their limits and beyond. There are many, from simple to more complex. When I am working on a project or task, I always keep in mind that “what is the expected result?” Sometimes, if you forget what you are trying to achieve, you can deviate from your targets. 9 Interview Questions for Project Managers 1) How do you build consensus on a conflicted team? Deadline of the project was Feb 15, 2016. This helps in structuring the efforts and simplifying them into a series of logical and manageable steps. Online Gantt charts measure the progress of each task, but project managers want a bird’s-eye view. It’s hard to find a person who is both comfortable with process and adept at motivating teams to do their best. This project manager interview question assesses your convincing and justification skills. If you say a salary that is too much above the benchmark, you can even lose the job opportunity. Therefore, think of an event, meeting, activity, or a moment in a project where you had trouble. Attend in Project Manager Mock Interview sessions, see how you perform, and improve your PM interview skills. But more resourceful is the project manager who knows when they’re over their head and asks for help from a mentor or a … It was a great experience to learn from different cultures when working with them. Our company was not having a SDP product expert. Please describe yourself, your background briefly. You have to hire or outsource the database administrator for a limited time to work for your project. While there are a number of general skills and transferable professional experiences that go into the making of a successful project manager, a certain degree of … Projects need more than a good project manager to lead them, they need tools, too. If there’s a problem between two or more team members, it must be resolved quickly. A good project manager must prevent gold plating in a project. If you’re looking for a project manager, then you’ve got projects. Give a project manager the best tools on the planet and get ProjectManager.com. Five members were from Brazil, three members were from UK, three members were from Spain, two members were from India and two members were from Qatar. During that meeting, I have gone through the agreed project scope and showed how our deliverables meet the initial scope. Project manager interview questions (with example answers) Let’s look at a few common interview questions for project managers with examples of how you could answer them. The critical point for the project manager is, he or she has to motivate all project resources to produce the most out of their capacity. Project managers are known as planners. I tried to calm down the customer on the phone and told him that we, as whole project team, will be arriving on site in one hour to investigate the problem and fix it. Yes, you need to go there and make the candidate uncomfortable. However, your company does not have a full-time database administrator. Then, I explained that customer referral program was not mentioned anywhere in the requirements list, agreed project scope and in contract as well. Third and the last part highlights how he handled the failure. I told him that, If we deliver a website project with missing web pages, this will be unacceptable. It feels as if you might have to employ a battery of workers to handle every aspect of the project manager role. When I see an underperforming resource, first, I observe him whether it is a one-time issue or occurring frequently. Considering your current salary and compensation package, you should tell your expectations. Therefore, we will be postponing the project launch for one month. Resit Gulec, MBA, PMP, ITIL has over 10 years of work experience. ProjectManager.com also streamlines the timesheet process and has features that manage project resources, so projects can deliver on stakeholder expectations. However, with good communication and conflict resolution skills, you can resolve the conflicts in a win-win situation. They’re experts in many things but not arrogantly so, in that they know the power of collaboration and can delegate work to focus on where their attention is needed most. Success and failures, these are inevitable facts of life and your professional career as well. Talking about managing a project will inevitably lead to a discussion of leadership style. These typical project manager job interview questions explore the type of projects you have managed, the project teams you have supervised and the contribution you can bring to the job opportunity. Project Manager Interview Questions and Answers about Your Career Background. During the meeting, I told to the project sponsor and executive managers of the customer that, customer acceptance tests are not complete yet. The Role and Responsibilities of a Project Manager Therefore, they will be able to estimate your salary and compensation package. I am pretty sure that project management experience in this company will add a lot to my professional background. Any project manager you hire would appreciate the power of our planning tools. I was in charge of approving expenses and procurements in my projects. In this program, you send us your resume and details of the position you applied for. 1. A project manager is a bit of a psychologist who must know how to resolve conflicts quickly. Do not even think to answer “No, I never failed in a project”. A project manager must tackle multiple tasks and issues. Project technical noticed this during a weekly meeting and notified me about the situation. Note that, the final stop of a disagreement like these courts. Project manager Interview Questions. Does the candidate have experience in your industry? You might not have this experience. Then, I would like to evaluate the further level of management position opportunities, such as program manager or project manager opportunities, that will be arising in the company. Therefore, they were performing better on Mondays in our project since it is 2nd day of their workweek. I organized a meeting with the project sponsor and customer testing team as well. This can help you place the project manager with the right project, or help them adapt to the project you’re hiring them to manage. Then, he gives an example from his project, which makes his experience stronger in this project manager interview question. Besides, he gives a strange experience he faced with his international project team management experience. What should this guy answer to this Project Manager Interview question? To help prepare you for your project manager interview, below is a list of some of the most asked questions, followed by sample answers. It will prove interesting and informative to see how the candidate makes these decisions. Project manager candidate approaches to solve the conflict in a win-win situation. Most of the human resources personnel ask this question to evaluate a candidate during job interviews. The most challenging project I was involved was Golden Gate Bridge Construction Program. Senior Project Manager Interview Questions. However, if we deliver a homepage with a loading time less than three seconds, this will be accepted. But this can also apply to stakeholders, vendors, etc. you will eliminate most of the arguments about the topic. There’s no question, this is what your project manager will want. If face-to-face communication is not possible, then, you should choose a teleconference meeting or phone call. This is great. The following can be a good sample answer for this project manager interview question. In the meantime, our software and test engineers collected logs of the failing calls. Knowing how they would manage people and resources can be a crucial point in your decision to hire or not to hire.
2020 project manager interview questions